Thank you for considering the Greenville Health System (GHS)/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville (USCSOMG) for your visiting student rotation! We are excited to be exclusively using the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- A processing fee of one hundred eighty-five dollars ($185.00), which is after program acceptance, is required of each visiting student. This fee must be paid by check and mailed to:
- Hope Robinson, Greenville Health System, Office of Student Services, Employee Service Center Building, 701 Grove Road, Greenville, SC 29605.
- No cash will be accepted.
- However, the processing fee will not be refunded for cancellation.
- GHS requires that a criminal background check and immunization form be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the rotation. The cost for the background check is the student’s responsibility. If the visiting student has resided at the same address for at least 12 consecutive months, then a state background check is sufficient through their state law enforcement division. However, if the visiting student has not resided at the same address for at least 12 consecutive months, then a federal background check is required. If the home school does not already have a contractual agreement with a third-party background check agency, visiting students needing a federal background check, can contact SR&I, the company used by GHS, at www.srandi.com. Approval of the rotation is contingent upon the results of the background check. GHS Immunization Form is available on the VSAS website.
- Completion of all application fields in VSAS plus the department-specific requirements (listed below) for specific rotations of applicant’s interest.
Applications will be reviewed in the Office of Student Services and forwarded to the appropriate department for approval/decline. When a decision is made by the department, the student will be notified immediately by the Office of Student Services via email.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own personal health care costs and must provide current documentation of health insurance coverage as well as immunization status.
- Visiting students who are unable to attend an approved elective are responsible for notifying the GHS Office of Student Services regarding cancellation at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the rotation period.
- Parking is provided for visiting medical students.
- Scrubs are provided for visiting medical students.
- Visiting students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own meals.
- If your elective is approved, additional information will be emailed to you regarding student orientation/clearance.
Department-Specific Application Requirements
Personal Statement, 300 word limit. Include why you want to do a rotation with us.
Letter of Recommendation
USMLE Step 1: 210/COMLEX: 600
Short 1-2 paragraph statement of why you want a specific rotation? Why GHS? Why that experience/specialty?
For those students interested in PICU rotations, please submit performance on prior inpatient experience.
Completion of M3 Psychiatry core clerkship
USMLE Step 1: 220 minimum score
A detailed description of your M3 clerkship experience in Obstetrics and Gynecology, addressing each of the following: location of clerkship, duration of clerkship, clerkship setting (community preceptor vs. teaching hospital with residency), content of required formal lecture curriculum, distribution of time spent with residents vs. preceptors, and type of end-of-clerkship assessments for grading.
Orthopaedic Surgery (accepting 4 students per rotation):
USMLE: 230 (Please submit score report)
100-word statement discussing your rationale and goals for completing the elective
We do not accept off-cycle rotations except for Orthopaedic Surgery. When applying for Ortho, please include your top three (3) dates for rotations and if accepted, you will be notified by the department.
Personal Statement (why interested in surgery and why GHS)
Completion and pass of M3 surgery clerkship
Step 1 score minimum 230
Mail your $185 check to:
Greenville Health System
Office of Student Services
Employee Service Center Building
701 Grove Road
Greenville, SC 29605